G&W Electric’s Viper-S® solid dielectric, three phase recloser combines the time proven reliability of electronically controlled, vacuum fault interrupters with the maintenance benefits of a solid dielectric insulated device. This recloser is designed with a mechanically ganged operator for three phase automatic or manual trip operation providing overcurrent protection for systems rated up to 38kV maximum, 800A continuous, and 12.5kA rms symmetrical interrupting.
Features and Benefits
Reliable performance - Viper®-S reclosers utilize G&W Electric's time proven epoxy polymer system to fully encapsulate the vacuum interrupters. This system provides excellent insulation properties while providing fully shielded, void-free construction.
Control Flexibility - Viper-S® reclosers are designed to work directly with the popular, field proven SEL-351R control. Other control options are available depending on application and end user requirements.
Ease of Installation - The Viper®-S is lightweight and compact. Site-ready designs provide all accessories including bracket, arresters and voltage transformers preassembled prior to shipment significantly reducing installation time.
Power Grid Automation Ready - The Viper®-S is automation ready, simplifying conversion for any future automation requirements. Options for adding multi-ratio current transformer for additional applications and requirements.
Manual Trip Operation - For manual open and lockout operation, a handle is provided permitting hookstick operation. Pulling the handle down trips and locks out the recloser.
- Polemount Center Bracket
- Polemount Alley-arm Bracket
- Polemount Complete Site-Ready Assembly
- Substation Mount Recloser
|Maximum Design Voltage, kV||15.5||27||38|
|Impulse level (BIL), kV||110||125||150|
|Continuous & load break current, A||800||800||800|
|8-hour Overload, A rms at 20°C||960||960||960|
|60Hz Withstand, kV rms|
|- - - One minute (dry)||50||60||70|
|- - - 10 second (wet)||45||50||60|
|Radio Influence Voltage, microvolts 100 @||9.4kV||16.4kV||23kV|
|Interrupting Current, kA rms sym.||12.5||12.5||12.5|
|Making Current, kA asym. rms||20||20||20|
|Making Current, kA asym. peak||32||32||32|
|Short Circuit Current, kA sym., 3 second||12.5||12.5||12.5|
|Mechanical endurance, operations||10,000||10,000||10,000|
|Temperature range||-60°C to +65°C||-60°C to +65°C||-60°C to +65°C|
|*Consult factory for higher continuous current up to 1000A|
High Accuracy Sensors – Accusense Voltage Sensors
Controls – The Viper-S works directly with a variety of popular controls.
SEL-351R Recloser control
Control Connections – The traditional 14-pin recloser control connector design is the same as other Cooper reclosers permitting easy change out of previously installed controls and/or reclosers.
The SEL-651RA is a direct replacement of the SEL-351R with a 14 pin interface and offers exceptional protection and communications capabilities for Automatic Network Reconfiguration and other distribution automation needs. These capabilities help you maintain reliable service to as many customers as possible in the event of a fault.
- Six voltage inputs support measurements on both sides of the recloser for advanced distribution automation and monitoring
- Comprehensive communications protocols and interfaces ease integration into distribution automation systems
Beckwith’s M-7679 R-PAC Next generation Protection, Automation and Control System for Recloser, Switch, Sectionalizer and Distribution Automation Applications.
- Over 30 Protection Elements for optimal protection of Power Distribution Systems
- Compatible with Three Phase (Standard) and Independent Phase capable Reclosers, Switches and Sectionalizers (Optional)
- Four (Standard) or Six (Optional) Low Energy Analog (LEA) or VT voltage inputs
- Settings Wizard assists in creating file for most common settings
- Recloser Status Monitoring tool displays real time reclosing sequence and fault clearing time
- Comprehensive I/O Matrix provides visual confirmation of enabled functions and selected outputs improving security
- Embedded Cyber Security including:
- Role Based Security
- Complex passwords
- Individual user accounts with activity log
- IPSec (VPN) Tunnel
- Compatible with Radius password management systems
- PQ Monitoring
- 3500 Sequence of Event Records
- 100 Oscillographic Records (Up to 128 s/c & 480 Cycles each)
- Over 2 years of data logging (at 5 min interval, adjustable)
GE Multilin R650 (IEC Configured)
The GE Multilin® R650 Recloser Control is a member of GE’s Multilin 650 family of field-proven protection and control devices, allowing customers to use the same platform both inside and outside the substation. This recloser controller delivers comprehensive performance in protection, monitoring, control, automatic network configuration and communications. With high speed, reliable performance this solution works to reduce customer outages and ensure fast recovery of medium voltage network sections for increased reliability of secondary distribution systems.
- Protection and control- up to 32 programmable digital inputs; 16 digital outputs configurable PLC logic to IEC 61131-3
- Advanced real-time monitoring, metering, and measurement
- Enhanced user interface display with 16×40 graphics or standard 4×20 characters
- Communication Protocols: DNP 3.0, IEC 61850 ed. 2, IEC 60870-5-101, 103 & 104, etc.
- Optional fiber optic 100BaseFX Ethernet, single or redundant (PRP/HSR/RSTP)
- Compact Case Size
- Optional conformal coating for harsh environments
- Extends the use of GE relays outside the substation for existing GE customers
- Links with G&W Electric LaZer Distribution Auto
Solid Dielectric, Three Phase, Viper®-S Brochure – English
Solid Dielectric, Three Phase, Viper®-S Brochure – Portuguese
Solid Dielectric, Three Phase, Viper®-S Brochure – Spanish
Viper®-S/ST w GE R650 Brochure – English
Viper®-S/ST w GE R650 Brochure – Portuguese
Viper®-S/ST w GE R650 Brochure – Spanish
Viper®-S and Viper®-ST Padmount
Low Fault Current Detection
Lazer® I Automation