Welder I (2nd Shift)
- Job Function:
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
Responsible for setting up and operating welding equipment together with atmospheric control equipment to perform difficult welding operations on a wide range of metals and alloys for complicated subassemblies and assemblies involving coinciding requirements for high strength, pressure and aesthetics.
- Assemble, align, square up and tack weld a variety of complicated subassemblies and assemblies using B/Ms, steel tape, straight edge, squarer, clamps, jacks fixtures, templates and similar equipment
- Fit part using torch or carbon arc or hand grinding equipment to facilitate alignment and assembly
- Set up and regulate pressure for oxyacetylene torch
- Select electrode size and type, tips and welding rod or wire as required
- Regulate gas for proper atmospheric control, current and voltage for proper penetration and fusing of metals
- Check and straighten gasket surfaces and grind excess weld from finished work
- Lay out and secure work which may involve heavy parts and assemblies Regulate current and voltage for proper penetration and fusion of similar and dissimilar metals
- Perform Mig/Tig Welding as required
- Perform preventive maintenance procedures as needed
- Provide personal tools as required
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations
- Conserve resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results
- Contribute to team effort by training others in performance of welding tasks as needed
- Inspect all work and insure it meets requirements prior to passing it on to the next operation
- Document actions by completing production and quality forms
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to safety use small hand and power tools, measuring tools, air tools and welding equipment
- Must be able to read and interpret Drawings and Bills of Material
- Must have basic computer skills
- Must be able to perform Mig and Tig welding
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent work experience
- At least one year of formal welding training or the equivalent level of experience
- Three years of welding experience in a manufacturing environment
Physical Demands: (The work is classified as Medium – Heavy Physical Demand Level (PDL) by the US Dept of Labor’s Dictionary of Occupational Titles) Frequencies: Occasional (1-33%); Frequent (34-66%); Continuous (67-100%)
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. As part of our organization, you also help power the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. G&W Electric participates in the E-Verify process for all new hires.
*G&W Electric participates in the E-Verify process for all new hires.
*G&W Electric participa en el proceso de E-Verify con todas las contrataciones nuevas.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor