Supplier Quality Engineer
- Job Function:
- Quality Assurance
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Since 1905, G&W Electric has helped power the world with innovative power systems solutions and products. With the introduction of the first disconnectable cable terminating device in the early 1900s, G&W began to build a reputation for engineering creative solutions to meet the needs of systems designers. Solutions which today have extended far beyond cable accessory products and into the latest in solid dielectric and SF6 insulated switchgear, solid dielectric insulated reclosers, system protection equipment, distribution automation solutions, and distribution and transmission cable accessories.
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Supplier Quality Engineer shall provide quality support to production operations, ensuring the integrity of components and products purchased from suppliers meet engineering requirements. The individual will aggressively drive quality improvements; ensure company standards are adhered to and driving organizational initiatives towards achieving “zero defects” performance. The individual will foster cross functional support to implement process improvements and problem-solving efforts for the supply base, to focus on protecting and improving incoming product quality.
ESSENTIAL DAY TO DAY FUNCTIONS:
- Results for this position will be measured by project completion and supplier quality metrics.
- Drives and champions quality improvement efforts internally and externally (supply base).
- Processes non-conformance and supplier corrective action reports, when necessary.
- Leads PPAP efforts within the organization and at the supplier
- Responsible for advanced product quality planning, roadblock remover, and successful launch of supply base projects.
- Work closely with Procurement and Engineering to establish the Quality Plan and PPAP requirements of the full product lifecycle of G&W products.
- Mange supplier quality metrics including improving PPAP results, supplier score card, SCAR, supplier audit, and supplier SPC processes.
- Conduct ISO 9001 based audits at suppliers. Audit supplier corrective action results. Improve the supplier evaluation, score card, and approval processes and manage the results through corrective action, continuous improvement, and off-sourcing activities.
- Conduct supplier quality training at supplier’s or G&W facilities to meet G&W and/or customer’s specific quality expectations/requirements.
- Optimizes process capability on critical characteristics at the supply base through effective application of statistical analysis techniques and problem-solving.
- Proactively work with suppliers to minimize ongoing quality/performance issues.
- Review and make dispositions on supplier PPAPs to ensure they are submitted and approved to organizational requirements.
- Travel 20 to 30% of the year (Europe).
- Limited international travel. Must be able to acquire a visa or passport as required.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Industrial Engineering.
- Combination of at least 3-5 years supplier quality, manufacturing, quality engineering experience.
- Experience in the electronics assembly, electrical equipment, semiconductor manufacturing industry, or allied industries is a plus.
- ETQ, JD Edwards software quality experience is a plus.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of and experience with FMEA, Control Plan, statistical process control, inspection equipment and techniques, root cause and failure analysis, capability studies, statistical distributions, machine and assembly processes, problem solving, team facilitation, and geometric dimensioning and tolerance
- Experience with report writing in Microsoft Word™, Power Point™, and analysis using Minitab required.
- ASQ Certification of Quality Engineer, Six Sigma Black Belt or Lean Certification is a plus.
- PPAP Processes and tools
- Knowledge of ISO 9001, ISO 13485, or IATF 16949 required.
- Innovative problem solver, familiar with 7 or 8-step / 8D problem solving methodologies.
- Strong team building and selling skills
- Must be able to work with Manufacturing at all levels of the organization
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor