Sr NPD Project Engineer
- Job Function:
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
Position Summary: Support product realization through cross-functional team collaboration. Responsible for managing portions of the new product design process.
- Responsible for leading portions of the design process, completing assigned tasks, assisting other members of the team, and helping to ensure project completion in accordance with the schedule.
- Develop schedules, coordinate and manage low complexity projects of with little to no supervision.
- Prepares budgets and defines resource needs for projects or parts of projects in area of responsibility.
- Assists with completion of the Product Realization Stage Gate Requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring that project meets requirements of specifications and standards, while promoting error-proof assembly.
- Responsible for creation of project test plan and completion of inside and outside test programs.
- Construct and test prototype components or assemblies as required in the development and approval process.
- Responsible for reviewing test data and ensuring testing is inline with the test plan and pre-test calculations, and meets or exceeds G&W requirements.
- Perform engineering analysis in design of new products and their subcomponents
- Perform root cause analysis and troubleshooting on the new and existing products and processes
- Prepare written documentation of processes, material requirements, test results and project activity as required.
- Interface with purchasing and vendors in the selection and approval of component parts and assemblies.
- Provide Engineering support to Sales/Marketing and Manufacturing on new and existing products and processes.
- Consult with Customer representatives to discuss product requirements and specifications when design or manufacturing problems are involved
- Give direction to supporting personnel such as Engineers, Designers, and Technicians.
- Follow established procedures for creation and maintenance of CAD databases and libraries.
- Participate in the review of engineering drawings prior to the release to manufacture. Responsible for final approval of applicable drawings.
- Ensure that selected parts and processes meet project and company goals for cost efficiency and reliability.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years progressive experience in Engineering design and/or development to include:
- Experience working on highly technical and innovative projects with demonstrated ability to be constantly challenged with new problems.
- 3D parametric modeling (Creo experience preferred)
- Running finite element modeling and check design feasibility within electrical, electro-magnetic, mechanical, thermal and multiphysics environment.
- Medium/high voltage electrical power systems.
- Mechanical: Molded Components or Mechanism Design, statics, dynamics, castings, and material properties.
- Electrical: Current and Voltage Sensors, Power Systems (Protection, System Analysis, and System Fault Response)
- Familiar with new product development Stage Gate Process.
- Able to write technical documents, like test reports, engineering standards and technical papers.
- Able to read and interpret technical standards
- Experience with DFMEA required.
- Able to use small hand and power tools.
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. Together, we light the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor