Sr. Mold Maker
- Job Function:
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
Reporting to the Lead Tooling Engineer, this position will be responsible for tooling and mechanical parts machining by operating various conventional and CNC tooling workshop machinery. The primary objective of the Sr. Tool Maker is to build molding tool assemblies based on technical drawings. Efficient machine operation and job planning skills are required.
Moreover, under limited supervision, performs a variety of operations to construct, repair, or clean machine shop tools, gauges, fixtures, jigs, or tool components for use. Assignments performed require the use of ordinary tool room operations and may involve work involving accurate relationships and extremely close tolerances.
- Build tooling assemblies to drawing specifications using CNC & conventional workshop machines, hand tools, and power tools
- Problem solves collaboratively with supervisors & project owners when tools are not functioning as designed/built.
- Maintain an organized & lean workspace
- Use a variety of hand tools and handling equipment (ex: an overhead crane) to manipulate and assemble tools.
- Clean metal inserts and ensure tools are turned over to press operators in excellent operating condition
- Proactively suggest ideas for improvement related to molding, fixtures and components machining, and cost-saving.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints for new Tooling designs as per plant or project specifications properly.
- Sharing designs and machining suggestions with the team and implementing any relevant feedback in the new designs.
- Developing prototypes and testing new designs.
- The capability to carry out measurement and quality assurance inspections on new & existing tools.
- Participate in new tool designs and build-up and ensure tools are delivered to product specifications and best practices within timelines serving both molding plant and NPD requirements.
- Log and track machining job details of all specifications for existing and new molding tooling and machine-related parts and operation fixtures.
- Participate in executing a tooling maintenance scheduling and tracking system that is visual, accurate, and adequate to meet quality & manufacturing needs.
- Handle predictive and preventive tooling workshop machinery needs to ensure maintenance and upgrades needs are performed in a timely manner.
- Maintain safety operations and consider safety initiatives /improvements as needed.
- Assist in training new employees
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A technical institute degree in machining is preferred.
- Required at least 5 years of related experience in tool building and operating workshop various machinery (CNC and conventional)
- Knowledge of injection molding
- Familiar with Fanuc Controls
- Positive Attitude & open-minded to suggestions and various requests.
- Ability to work with and train others.
- Good verbal and written communication and presentation skills and ability to prepare clear, informative, and logical reports as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively technical issues in either a written and or verbal context to a technical and or non-technical audience
- Courteous and friendly manners for dealing with inside and outside personnel, and able to handle and resolve technical inquiries well.
- Active Learning: Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Learning Strategies: Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things
- Machinery CAD/CAM software a plus (Powermill, Mastercam preferred), MS Word/Excel, basic windows.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- Working shift up to 12 hours
- Operating machinery on shop floor during working hours.
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Light Lifting (occasional 25 lbs or less)
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. Together, we light the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor