Production Supervisor 2nd Shift (2:30pm to 11:00pm)
- Job Function:
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Production Manager / Director of Operations, this role is responsible for supervising manufacturing operations and employees for a designated value stream. This position plans and assigns work, implements policies and procedures and recommends improvements in production methods, equipment, operating procedures and working conditions.
- Balance quality, productivity, cost, safety and morale to achieve positive results in all areas Seeking to meet and improve schedule dates, reduce process times, reduce inventory levels, increase the utilization of resources and manage department priorities
- Control manpower and materials needed to complete jobs accurately and on time
- Assist in initiating, implementing and leading continuous improvement activities assisting in researching new processes, procedures and equipment that may improve throughput, quality and profitability
- Continuously evaluate and improve manufacturing processes, through lean concepts and Six Sigma, partnering with Operational Excellence to establish value stream priorities and implement improvements while driving a lean culture
- Supervise the work of manufacturing employees
- Track absenteeism and maintain and approve timekeeping records
- Ensure effective employee relations by providing employee mentoring and development and resolving employee issues through coaching and problem resolution
- Make employment decisions
- Arrange for training to develop the employees’ work skills to improve department throughput and reduce scrap/rework through coaching and training
- Recommend disciplinary actions
- Evaluate and update the performance of team members against their job requirements and performance goals within the time frame designated for their position level
- Ensure employees’ personal safety by providing safety training for all aspects of the job and department
- Lead activities needed to perform accident investigations, safety observations, and hazard mapping
- Work with Warehouse Manager to maintain proper inventory levels for optimum productivity
- Coordinate projects with other supervisors and departments
- Monitor production schedules and results and inform management and peers regarding production delays and other related issues
- Manage departmental performance measures, including visual controls and provides regular progress reports to manager
- Support NPD introductions to production, working with technical supervisor and lead to troubleshoot processes, reviewing and updating work instructions and training team members to ensure a smooth transition
- Work with Supply Chain, Planning and QA to resolve parts, inventory and quality issues
- 5-7 years’ progressive experience in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum of 3 years of experience directing an hourly or manufacturing workforce
- High school diploma or GED
- Intermediate computer skills including experience using the MS Office suite, a business planning and inventory system
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Extensive knowledge and leadership in the principles and practice of Lean, Six Sigma, 5P and/or other continuous improvement models; participated in related improvement projects
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
Supervisor: Responsible for day-to-day performance of a group ~ 6 + employees. Guides/monitors group toward its goals ensures employee’s productivity, resolve problems, has authority to change work roles and work distribution. Responsible for genuine input regarding Human Resources matters of significance: e.g. participates in selection of new employees, provides meaningful input to performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, terminations etc.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Light Lifting (occasional 25 lbs or less)
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. As part of our organization, you also help power the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. G&W Electric participates in the E-Verify process for all new hires.
*G&W Electric participates in the E-Verify process for all new hires.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor