Mechanical Design Engineer I
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
Position Summary: Define best product designs and utilize constraint-based software to provide automated configurations and product designs; perform maintenance on program, support usage of software and defend the quality of design work, both in controlling existing designs and in approving future designs.
- Create and design for custom made-to-order requirements using computer aided design techniques, integrating existing switch modules and Engineering Standards.
- Develop accurate layouts, complete all modeling and BOM structure. following standard work process that allow Designer the ability to detail all drawings. As necessary, create assembly drawings, details and bills of materials; follow established procedures for creation and maintenance of CAD databases and libraries.
- Provide technical support to sales/marketing and manufacturing on new and existing products and processes, provide direction to technical personnel such as CAD designers and operators, and interface with purchasing and vendors in the modification and approval of component parts.
- Participate in Change Management
- Perform data collection and analysis to define design criteria, evaluate existing components, and specify design-specific features that make those components unique; support standardization efforts
- Maintain program through debugging and provide technical support for daily processing issues; use Git repository to collaborate on automation program in a group environment
- Use design software to build components and top-level products using industry and company best practices/standards; Manage library
- Understand hardware and software architecture of product
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 0-2 years’ work experience in Mechanical Engineering design or Mechanical Engineering discipline
- Experience creating drawings, models and assemblies on CAD software (CREO preferred).
- Constraint-based programming / Configuration logic experience
- Knowledge in data manipulation tools, such as Excel
- Experience in preparation of models for parameter-controlled design automation
- Understanding and experience with Creo Top Down Modeling strategy, experience working with skeletons, simplified representations and Functional Interchange assemblies
- Ability to work effectively with all departments and suppliers.
- Experience in mechanical and basic electrical troubleshooting
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. Together, we light the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor