Materials Engineer, Thermoset Molding
- Job Function:
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
Position Summary: Support realization of thermoset molded products through cross-functional team collaboration. Responsible for managing portions of the new product design process.
- Responsible for the material selection (epoxy, silicone, urethane, plastic) and process characterization required for the development of new product lines and supporting the maintenance of existing product lines
- Applies principles of chemistry, physics, and material behavior to develop material specifications, design requirements and manufacturing process requirements
- Assists in process development, refinement, and troubleshooting from project initiation through launch
- Material and process specification development, authoring, and maintenance
- Assist in the development of the material test laboratory, including equipment selection, process and procedure definition, and test method creation
- Work with the NPD team and the manufacturing team to produce prototype and production parts and assemblies in accordance with approved specifications
- Responsible for reviewing test data and ensuring testing is in line with the test plan and pre-test calculations and meets or exceeds G&W requirements
- Perform engineering material analysis in design of new products and their subcomponents
- Interface with purchasing and vendors in the selection and approval of materials
- Participate in the review of engineering designs and processes prior to the release to manufacture
- Ensure that selected materials and processes meet project and company goals for cost efficiency and reliability
- Performs failure analysis of components, systems and subsystems, life predictions, and prepares definition and requirement specifications. Reviews and approves subcontractor material processing procedures
- Coordinates with test laboratory by writing test plans, evaluating vendor material products, documenting test results, and producing test reports along with briefing materials for aerospace grade composite material systems
- Assist in troubleshooting material related processes employed throughout the global company and evaluate potential changes or improvements to the processes
- Analyze, select, or recommend materials for new or existing products or products returned from the field
- Create technical reports and method development procedures or standard work to be reviewed by peers and department leadership
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Material Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Polymer Engineering (focus on thermosets a plus)
- 10+ years with materials development, composites (Epoxy)
- Experience working on highly technical and innovative projects with demonstrated ability to be constantly challenged with new problems
- Mechanical and Electrical properties of molded components and material properties
- Familiar with new product development Stage Gate Process
- Able to write technical documents, like test reports, engineering standards and technical papers
- Able to use small hand and power tools.
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Polymer Engineering (focus on thermosets a plus)
- Medium and high voltage electrical industry experience
- Knowledge of Metallurgy, Chemistry, and/or associated processes
- Familiarity with laboratory techniques and use of common instrumentation is preferred
- The ideal candidate will have a history of creativity, innovation, and initiative; a self-starter driven to learn new methodologies
Travel: Depending on location up to 50% travel to key plants and suppliers. Appropriate travel documents (passports, etc) required.
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. Together, we light the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor