Field Application Engineer
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
The Field Application Engineer works as part of the sales team and in coordination with the application engineers and product managers to successfully demonstrate our product, articulate our competitive differentiators/complementary features, facilitate Q&A and gather technical and commercial requirements to successfully complete quotations and orders on time, within scope and in accordance with authorized cost figures. The Field Application Engineer will provide technical guidance, respond to and manage customer expectations throughout the sales cycle. The candidate will also build positive professional relationships with our global colleagues and external customers throughout the world.
- Reporting to the Regional Vice President of Sales, maintain strong support and interact with the sales team, Application Engineers, Product Managers and Independent Sales Representatives in the bid process which includes quotation development, order spec review and interpretation and direction of the application engineer.
- Provide technical and commercial assistance to the Application Engineer on existing products to allow them to complete quotations, and negotiate final pricing based on competitive market information within agreed time frame.
- Support the determination of the technical and commercial requirements for all complex quotations and provide the information to the Application Engineer to complete the quote
- After reviewing a bid request and determining the quote complexity level, the Field Application Engineer will determine, if necessary, to run and support the application engineer to facilitate the Technical Bid Review (TBR) meeting.
- Will support application and order management for our “blanket” type or key strategic customers.
- Conduct training of existing &W products for Independent Reps and customers. Customer training can take place at any G&W facility or at the customer site. Field Application Engineer will be responsible for developing training Power Points and other related documentation required by the customer’s application.
- Work with customer and sales representatives to design and develop a custom solution that satisfies the customer’s requirements while maintaining company profitability. This activity can take place at any G&W facility or at the customer site.
- Provide technical and commercial assistance to the Application Engineer in preparation for meetings involving large bids (Major Bids).
- Serve as the technical “backstop” for issues relating to application performance.
- Consult with various departments within all G&W Electric facilities as appropriate to resolve technical issues that arise during the opportunity lifecycle.
- Identify opportunities to develop technical papers and sales success stories. Prepare those documents in concert with Product Management as additional sales tools for G&W Sales Team.
- Identify and write application guides for G&W products.
- Ensure order development activity is customer focused, results orientated, performance driven and in compliance with all applicable internal and external requirements.
- Host and manage customer visits, associated with presale activities or training, to any G&W facility.
- As required, analysis of wins and losses provided to the team to refine G&W’s product and pricing approach to the market.
- Point person for the Regional Sales Team to provide support on existing products. This includes customer visits, product demonstrations, training sessions, phone and email support. Provide timely and effective communication to internal and external customers.
- Attend sales meetings and trade shows as appropriate.
- Fully participate in company meetings including department specific meetings.
- Report to Product Management Voice of the Customer feedback, new requirements, needs and applications seen in the market and industry. This includes new product and product enhancement ideas.
- Manage the communication and execution of any Customer Change Notifications (CCNs) with our customers.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years’ experience working in an application engineering or comparable role
- BS in Electrical Engineering
- Detailed knowledge of electric power equipment including overhead and underground distribution switches, automation solutions, reclosers, distribution and transmission cable accessories, and current limiting system protection devices.
- Extensive experience working with utility, industrial and EPC engineers working in the power industry.
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. Together, we light the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor