EMC Test Engineer
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
The EMC Test Engineer will work in the G&W Test Lab and is responsible for the engineering and execution of EMC tests performed on products for new product development and sustaining activities, which includes Switchgear, Control, and Sensing products. The Test Engineer determines processes and procedures, schedules, equipment selection, coordination with outside laboratories, and is responsible for the creation of Test Reports.
- Receiving Test Request
- Review Request and relevant standards
- Engineer the testing both in house and at 3rd party labs
- Execute all testing according to standards and test request
- Provide feedback to requestor as progress is made
- Identify functional problems and suggest solutions, if necessary, modify test plan to learn the most from testing (working with requestor)
- Draft Initial Test Report and send to Requestor for Conclusion and Approval
- Maintain EMC Test Report Database
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of applicable (IEC 61000-4 series, IEEE C37.90 series and other) standards
- Coordinate calibration and maintenance of test equipment with Calibration Department and/or manufacturer
- Assist in the design, construction and installation of equipment as required to improve testing operations
- Develop schedules, coordinate and manage projects of minor to major size with little to no supervision
- Participate in design and safety reviews and provide recommendations
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related technical discipline
- At least 3 years EMC/EMI compliance and/or pre-compliance testing experience, preferably in industrial/utility electrical power sectors
- Knowledge of radiated and conducted emissions and susceptibility testing, electrostatic discharge (ESD), electric fast transients (EFT/Burst), overvoltage pulses (Surge), inducted RF conducted disturbances, radiated RF field, power frequency magnetic field, voltage dips and short interruptions.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with all associated EMC laboratory test equipment including: ESD simulators, conducted RF immunity test system, multi-function generators for immunity testing, coupling/decoupling networks, electromagnetic clamps and current injection probes, spectrum analyzers, signal generators.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Familiarity with IEC, IEEE and other standards preferred
- Willingness to travel to perform tests in outside labs (5%)
- Strong desire to learn and, at all times, adhere to proper safety protocols is required
- Able to write technical documents, like test reports, engineering standards and technical papers.
- Demonstration of mechanical aptitude with strong “hands-on” ability.
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. Together, we light the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor