Electrical Engineer I, Grid Automation
- Job Function:
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
- Prepare GW switchgear automation solution proposals that include written functional description and pricing.
- Apply product knowledge of relays, programming, and communication in switchgear distribution automation applications.
- Provide pre and post sales technical support to sales/marketing, production engineering, and customers for customized distribution automation solutions.
- Project Manage Distribution Automation projects from Quoting stage through Customer site acceptance.
- Design logic, program relays and controllers, and test systems as required for projects.
- Develop flexible program templates and software solutions that can be combined with hardware for customizable product packages
- Assist Production Engineering with minor modifications as necessary for specific customer applications.
- Train and assist customers with installations and commissioning including on-site activities as necessary.
- Travel overnight 20-30%.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering required. 1-3 years of progressive experience in Engineering design and/or development preferred.
Preferred technical knowledge:
- Three Phase power systems including:
- Symmetrical components
- Load flow
- Over current protection functions
- Relay integration and logic programming for: SEL, Basler, and GE relays
- Communications including:
- Fiber Optic Cable Selection and Application
- Radio Communication and Antenna Selection
- Cellular Communication and Antenna Selection
- Typical primary Voltage and Current test procedures
- Electromagnetics and the application of motors, transformers, and generators on the power distribution system
- Strong industrial / utility programming understanding and skills with a strong preference for relay programming
- Training and/or experience in relays and switchgear and electrical troubleshooting.
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. Together, we light the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor