- Job Function:
- CA, ON, Brampton
The Electrical Designer/Engineer will design custom solutions to meet customer specifications from selection, design, integration to commissioning of controls on medium voltage switchgears.
- Review and understand control design requirements of customized medium voltage switchgears
- Participate in design review when necessary
- Plan and complete defined design work per schedule
- Select and integrate the following control components: protective relays or programmable controllers, current and voltage transformers, sensors and actuators, power supplies, motor controls, communication devices (radios, antennas, modems etc.,)
- Support R&D with electrical engineering related projects
- Design controller layout and wiring diagram using CAD software
- Detail and draft parts required for the new controls
- Prepare drawings with dimensions, tolerance and bill of material
- Process engineering change notices
- Verify and validate other designer’s work
- Program controllers and commission switchgears and controllers
- Provide technical support to application engineers, production planning, manufacturing, QA and customers when needed
- Interface with Purchasing and vendors in the modification and approval of component parts and assemblies
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering
- 3+ years’ experience in electrical, design, development, or testing
- P.Eng designation is an asset
- Working knowledge of control components such as sensors, actuators, transformers, power supplies and motor controls.
- Experience in controller programming, and troubleshooting
- Good understanding of mechanical-electrical equipment (switchgears preferred)
- Working experience with Autocad
- Knowledge of power distribution system fundamentals is preferred, such as over-current protection functions, instrumental transformers, SCADA communications and standards.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate activities with diverse tasks and demanding schedule
- Ability to work effectively cross-functionally
- Excellent command of the English language
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Manufacturing shop and lab environment for commissioning and test of controls
Why G&W Electric?
We have established a long lived reputation for product quality and innovation. We believe our greatest asset is our employees and look for highly motivated, self-driven individuals who thrive in a fast-paced challenging environment. Our business is growing and if you are looking to grow and continue your development and reach success, you’ll find it at G&W Electric. Be a part of keeping the lights on for critical infrastructure needs; hospitals, manufacturing, schools, retail spaces and much more.
To learn more about our company view this video: https://youtu.be/pX1axYRSpYQ
G&W offers the following benefits:
- Generous Profit Sharing with RRSP Program paid quarterly
- Management Bonus
- Competitive vacation package plus floater days
- Annual performance increases
- Comprehensive Benefit Package including life insurance, health, dental and paramedical services (all paid by employer)
- Education Tuition Assistance
- Job Security
- Succession Planning
- Air-conditioned/heated state-of-the-art manufacturing facility
- Wellness and Gym Reimbursement Programs
- Training and Developmental Opportunities
- Continuous Performance Feedback
- Fun social events, holiday party, bowling nights, and many more.
G&W Canada Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, G&W Canada Corporation will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform G&W Canada Corporation’s Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.