Electrical Design Engineer II
- Job Function:
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
The Switchgear Electrical Design Engineer II is responsible for the design, integration, and application of control cabinets and electrical components on G&W products. This position is an integral piece of the entire company network and will work closely with all departments through their designs and engineering skillset. They are directly involved in the hardware design of control cabinets, software programming for intelligent distribution relays, specifying and design of networking systems and cabling, SCADA systems and signal cabling, and communication with user interfaced IEDs. G&W is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our fast pace work environment that affords plenty of consistent learning opportunities and problem-solving experience.
- Consult with Sales and Marketing, customers, and customer representatives to discuss product requirements, applications, and specifications when design or manufacturing problems are involved.
- Provide Engineering support to Manufacturing and Development Engineering on new and existing products and processes.
- Establish product specifications and standards
- Manage projects of all sizes with little to no supervision.
- Organize, supervise and guide a team of engineers to perform Product Engineering functions:
- Simplify product designs for improved manufacturability and reduce cost without compromising product quality and function.
- Define processes, select materials, and provide analysis in the improvement or application of new or existing products and processes. Interface with purchasing and vendors in the selection and approval of component parts and assemblies. Construct and test prototype components or assemblies as required in the development and approval process.
- Prepare written documentation of processes, material requirements, test results, and project activity as required.
- Provide direction to lower-level technical personnel such as Electrical Engineers and Designers
- Evaluate the performance of subordinates against their job requirements and performance goals within the time frame designated for their position level.
- Develop the employees’ work skills to improve department throughput and quality.
- Use Daily Management activities to drive the overall performance of the team, including quality, productivity, lead time, strategic initiatives, and meeting internal and external customer needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering. In addition, 3+ years’ work experience in Electrical Engineering design or Electrical Engineering discipline.
- Experience creating drawings, models, assemblies, and Schematic creation on CAD software, Creo Schematics preferred.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate the activities within the team comprised of diverse tasks and demanding schedules.
- Ability to work effectively with all departments and suppliers.
- Ability to manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously.
- Experience in electrical and basic mechanical troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of Windows, Word, Excel
- Experience in circuit design and analysis, PLC/Logic programming and electronic control design.
- Experience leading Lean and/or continuous improvement initiatives.
- Knowledge of and experience with power engineering systems fundamentals.
- Previous experience in an Engineered-to-Order and/or Manufacturing environment.
- DC circuit design.
- Three-phase power systems.
- One-Line Diagram experience.
- Experience in design or implementation of Instrument Transformers
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Light Lifting (occasional 25 lbs or less)
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender national origin, race religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor