Electrical Design Eng I
- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
The Switchgear Electrical Design Engineer I creates custom control & communication systems that integrate with G&W’s entire switchgear product line. This unique position allows engineers to develop expertise in a multitude of different disciplines including the following: AC/DC circuit design, 3-phase power systems, control panel component specification and design, cabling & harnessing, software programming, networking systems, and a variety of communications & SCADA methodologies. This role also partners with sales and application teams with feasibility analysis and provides technical support to external & internal customers including manufacturing, supply chain, vendors, and aftermarket support. G&W is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our fast-paced, collaborative work environment that offers consistent learning opportunities and problem-solving experience.
- Develop custom Control Panel & Cable/Harness designs for multiple existing and new product lines at G&W
- Design and specify wired and wireless communication equipment (Fiber Ethernet Systems, Serial, IEC 61850, etc.)
- Provide technical support for customers, suppliers, and internal departments
- Provide troubleshooting and engineering support for on-site manufacturing personnel
- Establish product specifications and standards through design and feasibility
- Organize and provide guidance/expertise to a team of engineers
- Support continuous improvement initiatives set by over-arching company objectives
- Advance product designs for improved manufacturability and reduced cost without compromising product quality and function.
- Interface with purchasing and vendors in the selection and approval of component parts and assemblies.
- Construct and test prototype components or assemblies as required in the development and approval process.
- Prepare technical documentation including Instruction Manuals, Manufacturing Work Instructions, Programming Specifications, and Test Reports
- Actively participate in design and design for manufacturability reviews
- Follow established procedures for the creation and maintenance of CAD databases and libraries.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Experience in electrical and basic mechanical troubleshooting
- Strong self-management and organizational skillsets to manage congruent complex tasks simultaneously.
- CAD skills to create drawings, models, assemblies, and schematics
- Exposure to circuit design and/or analysis
- Knowledge of PLC/Logic or other Microcontroller programming
- Familiarity with 3-phase power engineering systems fundamentals
- Internship experience in a manufacturing environment, ideally engineered-to-order
- Experience in reading schematics
- Familiarity with IEEE and other industry standard
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. Together, we light the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor