- US, IL, Bolingbrook
Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Specialist
Since 1905, G&W Electric has helped power the world with innovative power systems solutions and products. With the introduction of the first disconnectable cable terminating device in the early 1900s, G&W began to build a reputation for engineering creative solutions to meet the needs of systems designers. Solutions which today have extended far beyond cable accessory products and into the latest in solid dielectric and SF6 insulated switchgear, solid dielectric insulated reclosers, system protection equipment, distribution automation solutions, and distribution and transmission cable accessories. Located in Bolingbrook, Illinois, USA, the plant covers over 371,000 square feet and represents a showplace of modern engineering, manufacturing and marketing technology.
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary focus for this position is to ensure that G&W Electric complies with all applicable environmental, health and safety regulations.
ESSENTIAL DAY TO DAY FUNCTIONS:
- Manage the maintenance and implementation of safety programs, compliance plans, and initiatives.
- Participate in the investigation of incidents, near misses and property damage incidents. Ensure follow-up is done to minimize future exposure and proper records/documents are maintained.
- Conduct, coordinate and track various training to support company programs.
- Conduct routine safety observations to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies, company environmental, health, and safety policies, procedures and practices.
- Maintain internal and regulatory reporting including data collection and reporting including but not limited to air, storm water and surface water discharge.
- Ensure the company meets all its legislative compliance obligations with OSHA, EPA, DOT, FAA and fire codes.
- Serve as back up contact for all regulatory agencies for inspections, permitting, reporting (air, water, waste).
- Helps maintain compliance with permits, government regulations and other industry practices.
- Keep abreast of any safety and environmental law or regulation changes that impact the organization.
- Ability to take necessary steps to ensure a safe work environment for all employees.
- Participate in manufacturing meetings to discuss workplace safety and regulatory concerns and opportunities.
- Actively role model all company environmental, health and safety standards.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with Operations, Managers, Supervisors and employees.
- Assist in the oversight of the Worker’s Compensation program.
- Special projects as required.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Biology, Engineering, Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or related degree
- 1 – 5 years experience in manufacturing environment with responsibility for Environmental, Health and Safety
- Proficient PC skills including Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to be on call or work off hours as needed
- Ability to perform as both a team member and an independent contributor
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with attention to detail and organizational abilities
- Superior analytical/ problem solving, written and verbal communications
- Experience working with local regulatory agencies preferred.
- Familiar with various emission control devices to ensure compliance
- Safety Orientation
- Active and Formal Communication
- Functional/Technical Knowledge
- Organizing and Planning
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Relationship Building / Influence
- Intermediate computer skills, utilizing formulas in spreadsheet or word processing software packages; developing templates for use by other team members;
- Knowledge of programs in the MS Office Suite
- Data entry accuracy
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to appropriately manage confidential information
G&W offers a competitive salary commensurate with the candidate’s level of experience, as well as an excellent benefits program including medical, dental, short term/long term disability, life insurance, and a 401(K), profit-sharing and quarterly performance bonuses