Cutoff Operator (2:30pm to 11:00pm)
- Job Function:
- US, IL, Blue Island
Innovating since 1905, G&W Electric has grown into a global leader in engineered electrical power grid solutions. Working with us means joining a worldwide team of passionate manufacturing professionals striving to continually improve the technologies the world depends on to deliver safe, reliable electricity. Our culture is focused on employee success, so we foster an entrepreneurial environment that encourages everyone to thrive.
General Summary: Operates one or more types of chipping, grinding and cutting equipment in removing undesirable projections or surplus metal (fins, burrs, gates and risers) from sand castings.
- Set up and operate band saw, abrasive saw, sand grinder, belt grinder and portable pneumatic grinding tools
- Uses of a variety of hand tools including hammers, cold chisels and files
- May also require the operation and/or loading of the blast cleaning machine
- Reports production quantities and items for each work order
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations
- Conserve resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results
- Contribute to team effort by training others in performance of machine operator tasks as needed
- Inspect all work for defects prior to passing it on to the next operation
- Document actions by completing production and quality forms
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to safety use small hand and power tools
- Must be able to read and interpret work instructions and effectively communicate with supervisor regarding manufacturing processes
- Must have ability to operate a variety of machinery
- Must be able to understand and follow verbal and written instructions in English.
- High School diploma, GED or combination of work experience and skill development required
- 6+ months experience working in a manufacturing environment desirable, experience in a foundry is preferred
The work is classified as Medium – Heavy Physical Demand Level (PDL) by the US Dept of Labor’s Dictionary of Occupational Titles) Frequencies: Occasional (1-33%); Frequent (34-66%); Continuous (67-100%)
• Lift up to 50 lbs on an occasional basis floor to shoulder
• Lift up to 25 lbs on a frequent basis floor to chest
• Carry up to 50 lbs on an occasional basis up to 25 feet
Why join us? G&W enjoys a long reputation for product quality, innovation and world-class customer service to the power industry. We have established this reputation by believing that our greatest asset is our employees. We owe our success to the initiative and talents of highly skilled individuals within our team-based organization. Our goal is to set the standard for customer satisfaction by ensuring a superior level of service, performance and innovation. As a global organization and industry leader, we are committed to cultivating an engaging work environment that embraces our core values and develops our talent. Our continuous focus on growth and innovation means that you become part of a company that provides challenging opportunities, rewards excellence and combines your individual expertise to achieve a higher level of shared success. As part of our organization, you also help power the world!
G&W Electric is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. G&W Electric participates in the E-Verify process for all new hires.
*G&W Electric participates in the E-Verify process for all new hires.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor